With the explosion of Gabby Bernstein's book The Universe Had Your Back, Oprah's The Secret and so much talk about manifesting in the mainstream media these days, you're probably wondering: WTF is manifesting?
Don't worry, I was right there with ya, and I'm here to provide a more down-to-earth version of what seems to be a wild, in the clouds idea.
You've probably heard things like: "What you think, you are", "If you think you can't, you wont", or "I know that everything I want is coming". You've probably thought to yourself, hmmm, sounds a little flaky....
Mee too, girl! BUT I recently had a little revelation when I read that 40-50% of our daily lives are run by habits. That is, things we do automatically without thinking about them. Thinks like, drinking a glass of water right when you wake up, brushing your teeth, the way you shower, etc. So, given that my mind tends to run on more of a science-backed path than a feelings-backed path, I decided to look into this a little further.
I found that what people are REALLY talking about when they are talking about manifesting their dreams, is really how to control your subconscious mind. The human brain is so very complex, and we are still learning about all of the intricacies, but we do know this: The subconscious mind is responsible for controlling all of our intricate bodily functions throughout the day. The subconscious mind controls our reactions and emotions to different situations, and stores and organizes our memories.
Have you ever had a "crazy experience" where everything you wanted and needed just seemed to magically fall into place? I experience this all the time, and I'm here to tell you that its not just luck. Sometimes, its God in his infinite wisdom entering into our lives to show us the way. But other times, it is you yourself that can make these "crazy experiences" happen.
How? You ask. Because what you think about day in and day out, has a profound effect on your life.
- Are you constantly telling yourself you are fat and will never lose weight? Then find yourself stuck and in a diet loop?
- Do you tell yourself you aren't pretty enough to find a date? Then find yourself sitting alone on your couch on Friday night?
- Do you constantly think about how you don't have enough money even though you know you could change a few spending habits? Then find yourself at the end of the month, broke. Again.
Ladies, what you think about is seriously what you become. So I urge you, start thinking more positively about yourself and others. It really can change your life.
How this looks, #OnTheReg:
- start a gratitude journal or say out loud 3 things you are grateful for each evening. Bonus points if you share with a friend/partner.
Your subconscious mind can literally not process negatives. For instance, if you say: "I hate working out!" You brain here's "Don't workout!". Instead, focus on the positive: "Working out makes me feel happy/acomplished/sexy afterwards" or "Working out is part of my day"
- I find that sitting in silence is still VERY hard. What I do instead: @headspace and @breathe are two GREAT apps that provide guided meditation. Many have themes, so you can choose ones that lead you to think positive thoughts instead of negative ones. Guided meditation is a total game changer and one way you can drastically improve your life in a short amount of time.
Practice Goal Setting
- If you feel like you are just drifting through life, you need some concrete goals my friend! Whether it is running a race, going for the next promotion at work, or getting in shape once and for all - goal setting is a must! I personally think setting overarching long term goals, followed by a 6-8 week mini-burst is a sure fire way to get things done. When you have time to set aside, grab your notebook or laptop and just brainstorm everything you want in life. Don't hold back. Write it all down. Then pick one or two to accomplish in the next month. Write out the steps to achieve that, and get working.
These are a little woo-woo, but its a fun little exercise. Grab a bunch of magazines, or use google to find pics of things you want your life to look like. Your dream house, car, vacation spot, clothing. Anything that captures the essence of what you'd like your life to look like. Make a collage, and pin it up where you will see it everyday. New Desktop background anyone?
I hope you see that manifesting is not just for the ultra spiritual crowd. You too can start manifesting things you want in your life by slowly changing how your subconscious mind works. the more you practice, the better it will get, so stay positive, and know that you are in control of your life and your future.
Resources that I find helpful: